About two months ago I bought a big ‘ol bag of bird seed with the intention of making some interesting DIY bird feeders, including this pinecone bird feeder to get us through the last of the cold weeks of February and March here in NEPA.
Fast forward to the second week of April and she’s finally getting around to it folks! Here’s the how to for our simple pinecone bird feeders- so easy even this ADHD mama can get all the ingredients together, do the craft, AND hang it on the tree. Start to finish a craft?! well, that’s just madness for me. (photo how-to after instructions)
Supplies for the pinecone bird feeder
- peanut butter
- bird seed
- 2 bowls (1 for seed, one for peanut butter)
How to make pinecone bird feeders
- Start by gathering pinecones, or if your house is anything like mine, collect some from the random places around your house.
- pour some bird seed into a bowl and scoop some peanut butter into a separate bowl.
- Tie a string around the middle of a pinecone.
- smoosh the pinecone into the peanut butter- we used a spoon to smear it into the nooks and crannies.
- Dip the peanut butter-covered pinecone into the bird seed and get it covered all over.
- If you are making more than one (which I suggest because you have all the stuff out so you might as well) put the finished pinecones onto a tray or in a container until you are ready to go hang them outside (don’t forget to leave the strings hanging over the side so they don’t get all sticky). Or, you could make one, hang one, like that.
- Hang your awesome bird feeders in your yard!
Here’s the photo how-to for the bird feeders
And that’s it, folks! These were easy peasy and the kids had a lot of fun making them. Don’t forget to pin this Spring craft for later 🙂
I added some more Spring crafts here for you to check out and try- if you make any share your pics with me in the comments!
P.S every Sunday I send out an email with helpful things to help you set your week up for Success. You can sign up below 🙂